Monday, April 4, 2011

H2SO4 and conference

And Away We GO!!!

so this week has been kind of crazy and i'll let this be a quite a bit of a update.

Monday we spent most of the day helping out other missionaries move apartments which was just across the complex. I had the other opportunity to actually help out another missionary Elder Muldiar who is going to India for his mission but he's waiting for a visa to let him get there. so we went to the doctor to get his foot fixed, which told him to go get some X-rays when they told him that they couldn't find anything wrong with him, and they just told him to get a lace brace for his ankle. I find it funny how little the American people know what they need to do to get better again. (thank you mom) and that was they overall update that day of Monday.

Tuesday! now what makes Tuesday great.... well to make it more clear, what isn't great about Tuesday?
so enough of the riddles Tuesday we had Z.L.C. or Zone Leader Conference, a Little bit about that is put this way:

In a mission they are broken up in to large areas called Zones. and here in this mission we have 6 zones,  so 12+ missionaries and assistants to the president and the mission president. Also we had a few more members join us this time, like sisters, greenies and a couple of  middle of the road missionaries, so an entire spectrum of the mission all giving council on what the mission should be like in the up coming weeks. and what was talked about the most in that conference, was planning and setting realistic goals. so that's what's going to be taught this up coming Zone Conference.

Wednesday, i never feel inclined.... so Wednesday was a rainy day so we tried to find things to do which didn't require us to go outside.   We did a lot of things that needed to get done and we were really productive that day as well, cool thing about this day in particular is that the members out here are really nice to us, so much so that they will take us out for dinner, and this night we went to a Japanese hibachi grill, somewhere i hadn't been to and that was quite a little show that they put on for us a high recommendation if you can spend a bit of cash.

Thursday, It's a holiday.... so we had quite a bit going on that day, first with the historic capitol which was pretty neat and it was kind of a slow day, except for the fact that there were like 100+ people going in and out at a time... all right maybe that was a little bit too much of a claim, but there was a lot of things going on that day.   After that we went to visit miss Shirley Ann Simmons and Ruby and Pat... well that didn't quite work out as planned because we have no idea where Pat ran off to, seeing as how she now has a baptismal date... or B.C.D.  We had a great little lesson and it went like a normal lesson would go with a prayer, seeing where they have read and then going off of what they read to what we were going to talk about, and usually reading a chapter in the Book of Mormon and applying what is being said.  Then finishing with a commitment to read, pray and come to church, which will help anyone come closer to Christ especially through the Book of Mormon and through sincere prayer and taking of the sacrament. So that's our lesson with Miss Simmons and company.

That night we also had a great time set up with splits and we were going to go with a ward member Bro Rew. Well before that we had a little bit of a backed up sink, so being smart I thought of getting some drain cleaner to get rid of all the crap that's in the sinks. which both bathroom sinks are connected to. So I got what seemed to be the most potent type of drain opener that I could find. So i got Liquid Lightning Drain Opener, and it's got a nice little ring to it. so it says to open a drain i need to pour 16 oz. of this stuff down into the drain and then wait 15 minutes while it works. so I pour it in one of the sinks and then head over to the other and pour the other half into the drain. By the time the bottle is empty the sink is starting to smoke or steam or something that was hot and had a little kind of white vapor to it coming back up. So we really start reading the bottle and we find out that we are supposed to put water in the drain before putting the liquid lightning in.... ummm..... we also read that it's made with "Virgin Sulfuric Acid".... so i think that we should just flush the stuff out by now it's been a little while... so we fill up some containers of cold water to flush this stuff down the drain. so by the time we get this ready and start pouring we see that the liquid lightning is running out on to the floor of the bathroom. so i pour a little bit of water down the drain and of course the pipes are now leaking.... so we head over to the other bathroom and find similar results... by this time we get a call from Bro Rew saying that he's going to be there in about 20 to 30 minutes... ummm..... so right now we have sulfuric acid on the floor of the bathroom eating away at anything it comes in contact with, and we've got about 20 minutes to get not just one bathroom in "order" but two... so we had an extra towel which was thrown on the pile of the purpley colored water that was draining out of the P-trap of the bathroom sink, and still flowing out. so we had to find some more things to pick up this stuff. so we started using paper towels, and that was working really well... when i got called into the other one to see that the towel that we had been using was literally being eaten away because of this stuff. so what did my chemistry class teach me about this type of stuff.... add more water, my reasoning is that it would make the concentration a lot less. if we had a lot more water, and making it not eating up everything it touches. so we did that and got most of everything working back in order when Bro. Rew showed up, but we were still just getting everything cleaned up, and we got everything to a position where we could leave, so we went out and had a wonderful time with him finding people on the roster and seeing other people. all in all a really good time. so at the end of that night we went back into the apartment that smelt a lot like Yellowstone.  and i couldn't let that drain beat me so i spent the next hour trying everything i could to get it back into shape and get that nasty smell of sulfur out of the house. so that was Thursday

Friday so the day of Thursday we get a phone call saying that transfers is happening this week.... ok.... because we were moving 9 Brazilians out of Florida to Brazil. and we also were told that the companionship that we helped move on Monday, were leaving to fill in the spots that had been where the Brazilians were staying at. So that day started at the crack of dawn getting everything from the FSU elders, the ones we moved, into our car and then on to the transfer van to get them off to where they needed to be. So most of the day was doing errands for sister Jensen who was stressing out about this whole situation for which i feel for her. think about trying to feed 9 missionaries for the next 3 days so it's more like feeding 18 people for a week. so that was hopefully helpful for her to get the mission home in order. then we actually had to leave early to get to a dinner appointment and a lesson that night with a part member family, which outline is very similar to Sis. Simmons and Company. and that was such an amazing experience just seeing the growth that the Park family has made, it just makes me smile.

Saturday probably a missionaries favorite day at least this Saturday, because your entire day is planned. and the talks were amazing and defintely a theme of understanding and being worthy to keep the priesthood, and listening to the spirit, and improving oneself through the gospel and what it teaches. Saturday was spent all day at the church.

While Sunday we went and had conference with a senior missionary couple, the Cox's they have been described as far as our companionship as the grandparents of the mission, oh so loving and cute and funny. They just make any day better. So we had dinner with them and they even made scones.... I know weird, but then again i don't know if I told them about our little tradition. So overall really cool and then said goodbye to the Brazilians, one of  which was another Timpview-ite. Harrison Richards in fact next door neighbor to Elder Hammond, Small World. well that's about it for the whole week thing.

This morning we had a great time at the roller hockey rink, where I actually felt somewhat comfortable on. So that's about it for the day.


Elder Gillespie

No comments: